Saturday 24 June 2017

Travel - 2017 06 - Dubai

As we conquered Kilimanjaro a day early we had an extra day to spend in Moshi town. Honestly not a whole lot to do, but that was ok as after the mountain a relaxing day was welcomed. 

The group that I climbed with was all staying at the same hotel so it was also a good chance to say goodbye. Walking the streets to check out some street markets but mostly just head out to lunch and dinner with "Team nDoto".



Dell and I had an earlier flight so we said our goodbyes before bed. Our transport arrived and we got some breakfast boxes to go. The coffee we ordered on the tour our first day hadn't made it to us yet so we had to swing by the home of the owner of Pristine to pick it up. 

Ultimately with all that happened we were getting to the airport a lottle late. Tiny 'international' airport so it wasn't too bad. We arrived about 5 min after the flight closed but as there was only 10 pax hopping on here they reopened for us. 

It's a milk run flight so we boarded a 1/2 full plane. There was one young American lady near me who was busy reapplying her makeup. She already had more than most people headed out for a night on the town. 3 different colour things on her cheek, fresh lippy, plus a pencil thing, eye lash stuff and even got the tweezers out for her eyebrows. Kenya Airways is worth dressing up for I guess.... 

After another short stop in Zanzibar (Didn't get off the plane, but still counts right?) we headed off to Narobi. 2 hour stopover then another 6 or so hours to Dubai. Just before boarding a staff member pulled me aside to inform me that my bag never left Kilimanjaro airport. 

Baggage guys weren't too bad and promised me I'd have my bag on the next flight, of which there is only 1 a day... Shuttle bus off to easily the fanciest hotel I have ever stayed in. Driving into Dubai it felt like what I imagine it might feel like for someone living in a small country town all their life driving into the CBD for the first time. So many tall, fancy, brightly lit buildings. It makes Vegas look like Toowoomba.



Bed and hot shower are nice I guess... I still just as happy in a tent though... Another plus is that the Concierge desk was going to follow up about my bags for me. Saves me making loads of phone calls.
The next day Lyndon got to tick off one of the items on his bucket list, driving a Lamborghini. Pretty fast I guess... 



Cruised over to the Oman sea for a bit of a splash. Water temp was easily low 30's, felt like dirty bath water. With 38°c air temp we were hoping for something a little more refreshing.... Fueled up before the trip home. Lambo is thirsty but at ~50c/lt it's not as much of a concern.

Back through the streets of Dubai we found the cause of a lot of the cities smog problem. Traffic. Probably not the ideal place for the car of choice. With Dell navigating the streets safely (despite other ideas from fellow motorists) we made if back to the hotel late arvo. 

Bad news about my bag, conflicting information. That's never a good sign. Kenya Airlines said they put it on the flight, Etihad said it was never recieved. Online tracking has it doing an airport transfer on a bus. 3 different stories. At least I'm not making the phone calls yet, but if it drags on longer I'll be back in Aus and chasing it myself...

Off to a fancy mall for dinner. Indoor Snow Ski park looked fancy (but not worth paying for) and if you liked fashion the mall might be a good place. I don't.  Was bored out of my mind. Even the one 'outdoor' store had some sports things (like bats) but mostly just apparel. Thought about getting a 'small' plush toy for the Nieces and Nephews though...



Next day was and lazy one by the pool. Had to hang about for the Lambo guy (who was 3.5 hours late...) to pick up the car. Relaxed poolside with a beer though, so no loss. Streamed State of Origin and managed to watch QLD squeeze out a victory. Bag still lost in the netherworld of the airlines baggage carousels.  

Out to the tallest building in the world, The Burj Khalifa. Seems fitting after the recent hike. Lights of the city were pretty impressive, even if filtered through smog.



Another big mall. The biggest in fact (by area.) Again boring for my tastes. Back to the Sofitel. No news on the bag but early to bead for tomorrow's activities.

One thing I hate about travelling, early mornings. Up at 415am to head off to skydiving. I don't do well with mornings but it was bloody amazing jumping out of a plane. Cost/time of enjoyment isn't quite what I would call resonable but just shy of a minute free fall was exhilarating. Loved every second. Good views too. Apparently I appeared 'very comfortable' with the height, no surprises there.



Back to the hotel to checkout and off to sit in the aircon of a Mall before our night time flight. Caught a movie to kill time on our last day before catching a taxi out to the airport. On the mall wifi got an update about my bag, it should have arrived from Narobi 1.5 hours before I fly out. Though didn't make my flight. See you soon Brisbane!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behind the Blogger